Monday, September 12, 2005

 

Busy, busy, busy

Hey,

I am a little late with this because I am simultaneously busy as hell, outraged and sad.

The disastrous response to the flooding in the Gulf Coast area has me really pissed off. We all know the usual left wing, I-hate-Bush-complaints already so I will try to add another spin to my gripe. Where is the Homeland Security?

What have they been doing with all of the money that has been diverted from other programs for the last four years? Aren't we supposed to have a plan for a city made uninhabitable by a chemical, biological, dirty bomb or old fashioned levee breaking attack? What have they been doing with OUR MONEY other than making air travel a (bigger) pain in the neck?

There is certainly no evidence of where our money went in Louisiana or Mississippi. Maybe it was at Trent Lott's house. I am also worried about the rebuilding process. The no-bid contracting has begun and everything will be run by business people and the chamber of commerce, the same people who were hurt most by the storm are likely to be victimized again in the reconstruction.

Now for something completely differnt. Busy as hell.


This is a goovy copper hood that I made and installed a couple weeks ago. I also made some nice bronze handrails, I think these from the front porch are the nicest.

Comments:
Lewis, I'm surprised at you. You actually thought all that money was used to develop useful systems?!? Plus, EMS folks have been complaining for years that they weren't getting the money that was promised. It is absolutely ridiculous that communication failed so abysmally, but I am saddes to say that I am not surprised.
The fact that so many first responders are also in the national guard, so they and their equipment, were in Iraq is an enormous problem. Someone forgot that the National Guard was actually supposed to be protecting the homeland.
 
It infuriates me that this administration has pulled a snow job, somehow they have convinced people that they are conservative when they are actually some kind of twisted oligarchy. The Democrats have gone along with this insane restructuring for the last couple of decades as well.

The lack of planning for such an event should totally undermine the idea that Republicans stand for security and defense. Democrats no longer have a party platform other than getting elected, Nancy Pelosi may be talking sense now, but we never hear anything like that during a campaign. Where are the principles? How come no politician stands for anything other than making money?

Unless you are extremely wealthy you have no influence in our government. Winning the lottery ain't gonna do it.

I can't seem to stop ranting.
 
So whose fault is it and what do we do about it? The republicans are crooks - or at least business people out to make as much as possible - and the democrats aren't much better.
Low voter turnout may mean people realize that, but it sure doesn't help any. Even the left-wing people like move-on know you can't win without money - but then money corrupts. So, I'm stumped. I think we need to start over. Start teaching civics in kindergarten. Make sure everyone knows that the government is supposed to be by and for them. Make sure they pay attention, to what's really happening, not the headlines and not what fox news says is happening. But that's a tall order and I don't even take my own advice.
Okay, back to work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?